Public consultation to identify nine new substances of very high concern
A public consultation has been launched on proposals to identify nine new substances of very high concern (SVHCs). The substance names and examples of their uses are available on ECHA’s website. The deadline for comments is 20 October 2017.
Helsinki, 5 September 2017 - The substances and examples of their uses are:
- 4,4'-isopropylidenediphenol (Bisphenol-A) (EC 201-245-8). Used in the manufacture of polycarbonate, as a hardener for epoxy resins, as an anti-oxidant for processing PVC and in the production of thermal paper. Bisphenol A is already included in the Candidate List due to its toxic for reproduction properties and its endocrine disrupting properties with effects on human health.
- Chrysene (EC 205-923-4). Not registered under REACH. Normally not produced intentionally but rather occurs as a constituent or impurity in other substances.
- Benz[a]anthracene (EC 200-280-6). Not registered under REACH. Normally not produced intentionally but rather occurs as a constituent or impurity in other substances.
- Cadmium nitrate (EC 233-710-6). Used in laboratory chemicals and for the manufacture of glass, porcelain and ceramic products.
- Cadmium hydroxide (EC 244-168-5). Used in laboratory chemicals and for the manufacture of electrical, electronic and optical equipment.
- Cadmium carbonate (EC 208-168-9). Used as a pH regulator and in water treatment products, laboratory chemicals, cosmetics and personal care products.
- Tricobalt tetraoxide containing ≥ 0.1% w/w nickel oxides (EC 215-157-2). Used in laboratory chemicals, pH regulators and in water treatment products, semiconductors, polymers and coating products.
- Dechlorane plus (including any of its individual anti- and syn-isomers or any combination thereof) (CAS 13560-89-9; 135821-74-8; 135821-03-3). Used as a non-plasticising flame retardant, used in adhesives and sealants and in binding agents.
- Reaction products of 1,3,4-thiadiazolidine-2,5-dithione, formaldehyde and 4-heptylphenol, branched and linear (RP-HP) [with ≥0.1% w/w 4-heptylphenol, branched and linear] (EC - ). Used as a lubricant additive in lubricants and greases.
The deadline for comments is 20 October 2017.